Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

3rd Trailblazer here, ready to make this one OffRoad Worthy

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by MattLV » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:25 am

Hello
I have been on this site a thousand times looking at all of your experiences, suggestions, accomplishments and advice. Thank you, Thank you...The information and details that all of you have provided is amazing. A lot to take in, and a lot to learn from. I enjoyed the laughs too.. about making fun of the newbies that ask the same questions over and over... "what is the biggest tire I can fit".. I promise not to ask these types of questions which have been answered a 1k times already....I saw a post about a senior member wanting to slap a guy with some raw meat and give him a wedgie for asking such questions..
I am in my third Trailblazer now. My first one I purchased in 2003.
I have owned many cars, trucks and SUVs and for some reason the Trailblazer fits best. Not too big, not too small. Decent gas mileage, can tow, plenty of Inline-6 power/torque for my needs and overall a great rig.
I am looking to make the one I have now more offroad and trail worthy. With the information from this site, and you members, I am on the way to a nicer, taller, wider, stronger rig.
I had already put 265/70/17 on my last two rigs, with just a slight upper ball joint trim and they fit with no rubbing.
I liked the bigger look over stock 245/65/17.
However I was always concerned about the slight upper ball joint trim weakening and splitting. I never had a problem, over 120,000 miles on trimmed upper joints. Not sure this will be the same with off road. I only trimmed about a 1/8th inch and there seemed to be plenty of meat left.
Now.. My current Trailblazer:
2008 LT 4wd, Black/Grey Leather
I-6, 3.43 no g80 (ugh)

I plan to start small and easy ....after reading threads and threads of my choices and options.
I have common sense and budget in mind.

My Plan now:
-1.5" wheel spacers
-3 inch front/ 2 inch rear 'lift/level'
-Flip and swap upper arms
-Rear BDS 55619 longer shocks
-285-70-17 tires (not sure what brand/style yet)
-Tranny cooler (running close to limit for 3.43 gears)

I do not want to go with a body lift at this point,... not out of the equation though for the future.

My Goal and Mission is to get lifted more, in order tread around on some off road trails, have fun, see the sights, build my rig and see what happens.

I appreciate your information and guidance.

Matt
MattLV

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:51 am

Looks like a pretty solid plan, flipping the a arms and using the spacers will let you avoid trimming the balljoint area.
You're pushing the tranny pretty hard with 33s, a cooler is a really good idea, tossing a thermostat inline might be a good idea depending on how cold the winters are... No location, so it's hard to give advise there.
A shift kit will help keep temps down too and might help keep you in lock up.

Welcome aboard!
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by SmokeyMcBlazer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 am

Welcome to the forum...
SmokeyMcBlazer
Off-Roader

Name: Rob
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:30 am

Looks like you've done your homework. Glad to have you and welcome to the forum.

Like Jason said, be careful of your trans temps with those tires and those gears. At 32", a trans cooler is mandatory, above 32" I think a trans cooler and a shift kit is mandatory for transmission longevity.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by maricard » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:45 am

Welcome
_____LESS IS MORE_____

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

My build thread : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5892
maricard
Off-Roader

Name: Marc-Antoine
Vehicle Year: 2002

by MattLV » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Thank you guys, Glad to be here.
I appreciate your feedback and I agree that 33" inch tires is pushing the limits for my gearing, 3.42. A tranny cooler is a must for sure and already on my list. I am also looking into the shift kit as well as a tranny temp gauge. I definitely do not want the fun of big tires to be soured by having to buy a new transmission.
Before I install the lift and tires I plan to drop the tranny pan, new filter, full cleanup and then tranny flush. It would make sense to go ahead and install the cooler and gauge at this time since I will be under there and have the lines at radiator apart.
I live in Las Vegas, so yes, the heat is a HUGE factor on this project.
Thank you v7guy for advice on thermostat. It does get to 32F and sometimes below here in Vegas during a few weeks of winter. And I like to go to the snow and cold areas a lot during winter, ie. Lake Tahoe, Mt Charleston, Big Bear Lake. I have been reading information about not wanting the tranny fluid too cold either. I'm still working on that. With summer on the way, I have a few months to come up with a solution. For now a tranny cooler is in order, placed in front of radiator (on bumper/grill side) with the fluid running out of radiator, into cooler, then to tranny. (Or bypass radiator?)
I am looking into the shift kit as well.... excellent advice from you guys, again Thank You.
MattLV

by v7guy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:04 am

If you're using something like the app "torque" you can display trans temp on it. There's already a temp sensor monitoring it.

Most people tap into the lines at the passenger frame rail, both tbyoda and moots has a write up in their build threads... among others
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by TBYODA » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:14 am

Tranny --> rad --> cooler --> Tranny. That will should give you the best cooling. Get a 180 deg bypass or cooler with a bypass that's what I got.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by MattLV » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Thank you again, excellent information. The B&M cooler 70268 has excellent reviews. The stacked plate design seems superior. I am leaning toward this one.
The 'torque' app set up is intriguing.. all the info right on the smartphone.
Thank you again.
MattLV

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:09 pm

v7guy wrote:If you're using something like the app "torque" you can display trans temp on it. There's already a temp sensor monitoring it.

Most people tap into the lines at the passenger frame rail, both tbyoda and moots has a write up in their build threads... among others

I use Torque, 5 bucks plus a 20 dollar scanner, can't beat it.

As far as gearing... I agree just from performance standpoint that 4.10s or 4.56s should be mandatory with a 32-35 inch tire... But I would point out every fool with a Z71 has a torsion twist, 2" block, and 33's in a heavier vehicle than us with likely 3.42, or maybe 3.73's. Around here the body lift and 35 combo is pretty popular... Ah... Ignorance really is bliss lol
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"